It's been over a year since I wrote this blog post of my favorite content marketing podcasts. Since that time some new shows have started and some aren't around anymore. So, I've updated my list of 20 of the best podcasts for content marketers. I've also updated the stats below. Enjoy!
I’m huge music fan, and it wasn’t long ago that everywhere I drove, I’d have music blasting in the car. But now, I can’t remember the last time I listened to music in the car.
What replaced the music? Podcasts.
I’m not the only one. Podcasts have taken off over the last couple years (or have seen a resurgence depending on who you talk to). Just take a look at some numbers from the Pew Research Center State of the News Media 2016 report. (Note:
used Edison Research as the source
of their podcasting data.) Pew Research Center
- Listeners of a podcast in the last month increased to 21% (17% in 2015).
- The percentage of Americans who have listened to a podcast increased to 36% in 2016 (up from 33% in 2015).
- Podcast awareness has more than doubled (49%) since 2006 (22%).
- In 2016, 64% listened to podcasts "most often" on a mobile device (55% in 2015). 34% listen "most often" on a desktop or laptop computer (42% in 2015).
Why the Sudden Growth?
Why the breakout popularity? One big reason is its accessibility. With smartphones, you can listen anywhere – in the car, exercising, just taking a walk, etc.
Another reason is the variety in content. With poopular shows like The Adam Carolla Show and WTF with Marc Maron increasing awareness, you can now find podcasts for just about any subject.
As mentioned in the stats above, the number of podcasts continues to rise. Many thought leaders have started their own podcasts to share their expertise.
Podcasting is relatively easy and inexpensive to do. Here are two step-by-step instruction blog posts for creating your own podcast:
- Convince and Convert: How to Produce a Podcast
- Entrepreneur on Fire: How to Podcast: The Ultimate Guide to Podcasting
Discover a World of Marketing Podcasts
I’m always looking for the latest trends in marketing. While I still read my share of books and blog posts, podcasts have grown to be one of my main sources to stay updated.
It can be hard to keep track of all the marketing podcasts available. To help, Jay Baer (@jaybaer) and Convince & Convert (@convince) have created MarketingPodcasts.com. It's a free discovery engine for marketing podcasts. Search for podcasts (or hosts), read reviews and receive notifications of new shows.
20 of the Best Content Marketing Podcasts
While MarketingPodcasts.com is helpful, here's a shortcut to 20 of the best podcasts for content marketers.
2. Content Inc.: Joe Pulizzi offers one quick lesson that you can apply to your business. Many of the takeaways are from his experience as an entrepreneur.
3. Social Pros Podcast: Real People Doing Real Work in Social Media: Jay Baer and Adam Brown (@Adamcb) talk with social media professionals from companies like Buzzsumo, Coca-Cola and Patron Tequila. You'll learn how they built their programs and how they continue to measure and improve.
4. Content Pros Podcast: Randy Frisch (@RandyFrisch) and Jeffrey L. Cohen (@JeffreyLCohen) interview top content marketers to learn their approach to strategy, operations and measurement.
5. Influence Pros Podcast: Heidi Sullivan (@HKSully) and Todd Cameron (@RedFoxStrategy) discuss how companies work with online influencers and customer advocates to increase their reach, engagement and conversions.
6. The Business of Story: Park Howell (@ParkHowell) welcomes the world's best storytellers to discuss how they connect with customers.
7. UnPodcast: The Business Podcast for the Fed-Up: Scott Stratten (@unmarketing) and Alison Kramer (@UnAlison) discuss how to succeed by showing us what NOT to do, as only they can.
8. The Marketing Companion Podcast: Mark Schaefer (@markwschaefer) and Tom Webster (@Webby2001) offer their fun, unique insights on content marketing's biggest trends and news.
9. The Sophisticated Marketer’s Podcast: Jason Miller (@jasonmillerCA) turns his podcast up to 11! You'll learn how to apply content marketing for B2B companies with plenty of rock and roll references.
10. Six Pixels of Separation: Mitch Joel (@mitchjoel) offers his thought-provoking perspective on digital marketing through discussions with his guests.
11. The Full Monty: Scott Monty (@ScottMonty) digs deeper into stories from his newsletter of the same name. In 15 minutes, this audio companion brings you up to speed with our industry.
12. Unthinkable: Jay Acunzo (@JayAcunzo) describes his podcast as "the show for craft-driven content creators." It's a show to inspire us to avoid shortcuts and hacks and do what we love most: create content!
13. Content Matters: Make your content marketing more effective with Andy Crestodina (@Crestodina) and Barry Feldman (@FeldmanCreative). Besides focusing on a specific tactic, each episode includes their "Mousetraps and Cheese" tips. The "cheese" is what attracts customers to your website. Your website is the "mousetrap" where you convert them.
14. The Mad Marketing Podcast: Marcus Sheridan (@TheSalesLion) answers your questions and speaks about whatever is on his mind. He describes his podcast as "off the cuff," "extremely personal" and "definitely real."
15. Marketing Smarts: Kerry O’Shea Gorgone (@KerryGorgone) of MarketingProfs (@MarketingProfs) features a variety of marketers and shares insights to make you smarter.
16. Social Media Marketing Podcast: Michael Stelzner (@Michael_Stelzner) interviews guests to talk about what works in the world of social media.
17. Louder than Words: John Bonini (@Bonini84) inspires your creativity by talking with successful guests that discuss their creative process.
18. Marketing Over Coffee: John Wall (@JohnJWall) and Christopher Penn (@cspenn) record the show in a local coffee shop and discuss all things marketing.
19. Brand Newsroom: With these 20-minute podcasts, James Lush (@lushjames), Nic Hayes (@Nic_Hayes) and Sarah Mitchell (@globalcopywrite) offer communication advice with a focus on brand journalism and content marketing.
20. The Marketing Book Podcast: Douglas Burdett (@ArtilleryMarket) interviews authors for their take on the best marketing tips and insights into the ever changing marketing landscape.
This is only a handful of the marketing podcasts out there. What podcasts are you listening to? Tell us in the comments below.